The Isabel Patterson Child Development Center is a development program. While care is a major component, a development program also includes:
- Developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Staff development
- Parent education, involvement and support
- Community participation, and referral services
The goal of the program is to provide an environment that encourages children to:
- Grow in all areas: socially, emotionally, physically and cognitively
- Develop self-awareness and acceptance about their own physical, social and emotional selves
- Develop creative problem-solving skills
- Grow in self-confidence and willingness to try new things
- Become inner-directed
- Become responsible
- Be creative thinkers aware of their choices
- Acquire a sense of unity, connectedness and belonging to the Center Community
- Receive an anti-bias education that includes an appreciation for individual differences and cultural diversity
The program for children 6 months to 2 1/2 years of age is held in the infant and toddler facility. A maximum of six children are enrolled in the infant and beginning walker rooms with a ratio of 1 adult to 3 infants. Eight children at a time can be enrolled in the younger and older toddler rooms, with a ratio of 1 to 4.
Minimum contract for this program is two morning or two afternoon sessions per week. Many experts feel that regular attendance helps children adjust to a new care setting. If you feel that your child may have difficulty adapting to new people and/or a new place, you may want to consider enrolling for at least three sessions per week.
- Morning Session: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.,, Monday thru Friday
- Afternoon Session: 12:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Thursday
- Extended Care: 12 p.m. - 2:30 p.m., Friday
- Full Day Session: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday thru Thursday
Two schools exist in the preschool environment, with the younger and the older development groups separated, and with cross-aged groupings in both schools. The Blue School has children 2 1/2 to 4 years of age. The adult to child ratio in this group is 1 to 7. The Purple School has children 3 1/2 years to kindergarten. The adult to child ratio is 1 to 8.
Minimum contract for this program for student families is 3.5 hours per day and two days per week. Minimum contract for faculty, staff, alumni and community families is 3.5 hours per day and three days per week.
- Monday thru Thursday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
The after-school program for children in kindergarten through second grade is held in the school age facility. The adult to child ratio for this age group is 1 to 10.
- The minimum contract is two sessions, two days per week.
- Afternoon Session: 2:05 p.m. to 5:00 pm Monday thru Friday.
- Full Day Session: Only on Public School Days off when IPCDC is open. Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Availability based on staff availability.
*Public School Days off - availability subject to staffing availability
Meal time is important for both informal nutrition education and for pleasant conversation. We post menus listing the meal plan one week at a time. Meals are prepared on the premises without the use of additives or preservatives. The Center's meal program does not include soda, punch, candy, beef, pork or hot dogs. Vegetarian children are offered an alternate meal on the days that meat (chicken, turkey or tuna fish) is served. The Center participates in the California Department of Education's Adult and Childcare Food program. There is no discrimination in the course of food service. Children in attendance are served the same meals at no separate charge, regardless of sex, race, color, handicap, religion, national origin or ancestry.
Infants 6 to 12 months are served based on an individual plan. Older children in the infant and toddler program are offered meals on the following schedule or per parental request:
Minimum contract for this program is two morning or two afternoon sessions per week.
- Infant Toddler Children: 8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m., Monday thru Thursday (Breakfast, Lunch, PM Snack). Friday no snack provided.
- Preschool Children: 9:00 a.m., 12:00 a.m., 3:00 p.m., Monday thru Thursday (Breakfast, Lunch, PM Snack). Friday no snack provided.
- Kindergarten Children: 12:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. Monday thru Thursday (Lunch, PM Snack). Friday no snack provided.
- 1st and 2nd Grade Children: 3:00 p.m. (PM Snack) Monday thru Thursday.